Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Catwoman




I recently watched Dark Knight Rises. I loved it. It wrapped up the series nicely and also stood alone. It's rare these days to find a trilogy that remains consistent and well made from beginning to end. Marvel certainly can't do it. 

I especially liked Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. In fact, she's one of my top heroines. Nolan didn't give her a dark and tragic background. She just wants to disappear. She flirts with being a villain and a heroine just as she does with Bruce. 

I think what sold me on her awesomeness was just how well she portrayed Catwoman. Anne doesn't rely on huge facial reactions, unless she, as Selina Kyle (Catwoman) is acting. Her facial cues are small, but dynamic. She's realistic and understands how people actually communicate. She keeps herself calm and cool, but the stress lies below, and I could see it in her. 

Not to mention, her cat suit. I love how her and Nolan came up with the idea to not have cat ears and instead represent them with her safe-cracking goggles when they are being used. She is, after all, never called Catwoman in the movie. They just refer to her as a cat burglar. Long gone are the impressive set of claws, but in their place are a dangerous pair of stiletto boots.  So, naturally, I had to draw her. She's a wealth of inspiration. You can't see much of the detail on her right now, but I'm slowly colouring her in. And it's killing my wrist since I don't have a tablet and pen. Just my laptop mouse D: Her big hair is reminiscent of Julie Newmar's portrayal of Catwoman, but she isn't who I had in mind. It was still Anne. I came across an image of her while I was looking up Catwoman pics to have as reference, and found one of her in that pose and with the same big hair. Loved it. I don't know where the photo shoot was from. I don't think the site I got it from was the original one. 


I'll work on her some more tomorrow. I need to add in her belt and fix some other things before I continue colouring. 

Mandarin <3

 PS: Crayola Art Studio FTW! And click on pics to see them better :3

No comments:

Post a Comment