Friday, November 8, 2013

Sylveon, Umbreon, and the Dichotomy of Dark and Girly

I've been rather happy with the surge of creativity I've gotten in terms of amigurumi these past couple of weeks.  The new Eeveelution, Sylveon,  inspired me greatly: it's feminine and complex with wonderful, pastel colours.  I knew when I got one in the game that I would need to crochet one up.

While tedious because of all of the different parts, I really enjoyed working on her.  She is supposed to have another set of long ribbons from the bow at her neck, but they were too much on such a chubby and small amigurumi.  She also didn't need anymore weight on her front, she already had issues standing on her feet. I remedied that by  squashing her feet out from under her.

The next night, I worked on Umbreon, my second favourite Eeveelution. Its a weird dichotomy, but the two Eeveelutions are a very simplistic version of me.  Dark and 'goth' and this love for all things 'girly.'  I've been like this for as long as I can remember, and had a habit of confusing classmates who prescribed to the idea that everyone fit into neat little labels.  I never did.  In my first year at my art college, I went to a school function in a black corset top, long black skirt (with a slit), black lace up boots, and rainbow tights. My roommate commended me for my outfit, until she saw the tights.  I simply told her that's how I was.  I love black and colours, and I love putting them together even more. But, back to crochet...

Umbreon became my go to Pokemon in generation 4, when I caught a female Eevee.  My aspirations for her were to become an Espeon, but my brother game me one sometime during that time, and I realized Espeon wasn't that great (there were much better psychic pokemon), so I went for Umbreon since I hadn't used one yet.  I feel in love with her instantly, and kept her through multiple games.  Pomegranate is still on my Soul Silver game~

She whipped up rather quickly; the design is much more simplistic then Sylveon. The only thing that I would change about her is crocheting up the body with a smaller hook.  I thought about it, and forgot to do so. 


Both are available in the shop! You'll also see spoilers to my next blog post if you only follow here :3

Mandarin~ <3

No comments:

Post a Comment